Monday, January 12, 2009

i'll stand here so i can catch you if you faint

So today after school were the Seussical auditions.  And I was fucking nervous as hell.  I'd just learned my song last night with Mrs. Simet and I also couldn't stop the stomach-churning feeling despite my best efforts to do so.  I'd also never auditioned with these directors before, so I was also meeting them for the first time.  Which also scared me shitless because Mr. Lupfer is an intimidating-looking person.

So i spent an hour and a half after school practicing my song.  And then I went home to calm myself down [[my audition slot wasn't until 6:15]].  I got home and sang my song again about 10+ times until I got a little bored of it.  That's when I knew I should stop and I had it down and I was comfortable.  I was ready and there wasn't anything else I could do.  It was almost time, so I had to just go and face it and hope to do my best.

So I got to the school at around 5:45 and it turned out that the directors were running REALLY ahead of schedule because some people didn't show up.  So my friend tells me that I'm going in just 5 minutes, when I was really supposed to be waiting around for a half hour.  Yeah.  THAT'S when I started to get that stomach-churning feeling again.  But I went in and did my thing.  I was so nervous, it was almost obvious.  I introduced myself to the two directors [[they're husband and wife]] and told them what I would be singing, "What I Did For Love" from A Chorus Line.  I gave my sheet music to the pianist and told him to play at "an even tempo" and follow me for the first que.

Okay, so first off, the pianist wasn't my favorite.  He was going WAY too slow and not keeping up with me and taking pauses and stopping whenever I held out a note, so I got so confused.  And then I was too busy worrying about that, so I forgot about 2 or 3 seconds towards the end and just kind of ad-libbed until I remembered where I was at.  I was so embarrassed though!  I forgot the words and then I remembered what was going on and finished.  I can't really explain what happened, but I hope they took it for someone who was so nervous because they didn't me and I didn't know them and everyone is nervous to audition for things.

So yeah, I ended the song and was so pissed at the pianist, but then Mr. Lupfer spoke to me and asked me, of all things, to take my hair down.  I had it in a ponytail while auditioning and I really didn't think it would be a problem or anything.  If anything, I thought it would help; get my hair out of my face as opposed to being down, you know?  But I complied and took it down and they looked at me for a second or two.  Then it was Mrs. Lupfer who spoke, asking me about my dancing, referring to my audition form where I talked a little about my years of experience.  She wanted to know my strongest styles and which one I liked the best.  I told them both my honest answers.   I said I would put it between lyrical, modern, and tap and my strongest and as for my favorites, I said that for as many years that I've been dancing, it's not about the individual styles that I love, but the passion that comes out of doing something I enjoy so much.  They really seems to like my answers very much and said they would see me tomorrow at dance auditions.  And I'm kind of convinced that I'm going to kick ass at those seeing as most of the kids who try out for the dramas and musicals can sing, but they're hardly dance oriented.  Hahah I'm excited to show off.

So you know, overall, it was a pretty solid audition, I think.  I'm confident that they'll overlook that one mess-up at the end of my song and take into consideration my experience and all.  So I'm hoping that I get the part I had in mind, but I'd be grateful for anything, really.  I'm not even nervous for dance auditions tomorrow.  My friend, Maja, who's been in all the high school productions so far, says that with all my experience and the lack of every one else's, I'll just possibly be bored with everything.  Haha I hope it's really as easy as she says it's going to be.  But hey, I always love a challenge when it comes to dance.  We'll see.

No comments: